TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The intake gaskets do require a small amount of RTV, where
People Seeking Info

Subject The intake gaskets do require a small amount of RTV, where

Posted by jzack on April 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM
  This message has been viewed 308 times.

In Reply To Re: Can you describe the procedure followed for the valve cover posted by KeepinitClassy on April 12, 2016 at 08:57 PM

Message the VC surface changes direction as well as in the rears over the top of the VTC solenoids. Basically a dab of caulk in the four corners where the VC surface changes direction to go up over the cam shafts - it's in the factory manual. My Z had factory RTV over the tops of the VTC rear solenoids too, so I just did the same but as far as I know nothing in the manual about it.

Don't beat yourself up too bad...if the VC leak is bad (sounds that way from what you wrote) doubt it's an RTV issue. Did you re tighten the intake VC bolts after a few hours? If new rubber spacers were used with the bolts they often compress a bit and bolts need to be re-snugged down. What type of RTV did you use with the VCs?

We are sure the leak is coming from the VCs and not the front or rear main seals or one of the cam seals if you replaced those during this job? Front or rear main seal leaks are pretty easy to spot from underneath the car. Cam seal leaks are much harder to see since they are pretty well hidden under the timing belt covers.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.